Diego Corrales vs. Joel Casamayor (3rd meeting)
2006-10-07 : Joel Casamayor 135 lbs beat Diego Corrales 139 lbs by SD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Kenny Bayless
- Judge: Nobuaki Uratani 115-112
- Judge: Adalaide Byrd 116-111
- Judge: Jerry Roth 113-114
- Unofficial AP scorecard: 116-112 Cassamayor
- World Boxing Council Lightweight Title
- The Ring Magazine Lightweight Title
- Corrales lost his title on the scales when he failed to make weight, coming in four pounds over the 135-pound lightweight limit. Thus, the title was on the line for Casamayor only. If Corrales had not lost the fight, the title would have been declared vacant.
- Corrales had to give part of his $1.2 million purse to Casamayor so the fight would still go on after he didn't make weight. He also was fined $240,000 by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
- Corrales scored a disputed knockdown in round five.
- A clash of heads opened a cut at the corner of Corrales' left eye in round six.
- Corrales bloodied Casamayor's nose in round twelve.
- This was Corrales' last fight with trainer Joe Goossen. Goossen said the split was over money. He said his agreement with Corrales called for him to be paid the standard training fee of 10 percent of the purse. That meant Goossen was due $120,000 of Corrales' $1.2 million purse for the fight with Casamayor, the same percentage he said he received for past fights with Corrales. However, Goossen said he was paid only $10,000. Goossen filed a lawsuit against Corrales in March 2007, two months before Corrales' death.