Donald Curry vs. Marlon Starling (2nd meeting)
1984-02-04 : Donald Curry 147 lbs beat Marlon Starling 147 lbs by UD in round 15 of 15
- Location: Ballys Park Place Hotel Casino, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Joe Cortez
- Judge: Rudy Battle 144-142
- Judge: Arthur Mercante 145-140
- Judge: Joe Garcia 145-140
- The newly formed IBF had elected to recognize Curry as their welterweight champion before the fight.
- Starling was ranked #2 by the WBA.
- The fight was televised by ABC.
- Curry's purse was $250,000 and Starling's was $100,000.
From Sports Illustrated:
From the opening bell Saturday, the 5'10" Curry largely eschewed his vaunted jab and instead crowded Starling, beating him to the punch with short hooks and showing surprising strength by bulling his stockier opponent—Starling is 5'8"—into the ropes. In the sixth round Curry knocked Starling back with a sharp right to the head, and at the bell the challenger wore a respectful look. Starling won some of the middle rounds, doing most of his damage with right uppercuts, but Curry finished strong: In the 15th round Starling was in danger of being knocked down for the first time in his pro career. Although Curry suffered a cut inside his lower lip along with the wound that caused the swelling above his eye and never had Starling in serious trouble, he won easily on all three cards.
"I showed everyone I was tough," Curry said. "People say Donald Curry likes to run a lot, that he has no heart. I think I showed heart today."
Starling offered no excuses. "Curry came out with 'c'mon' in his eye, and he took some shots," he said. "He fought from his heart, and he had the heart of a champion."