Name: Donny Lalonde
Alias: Golden Boy
Birth Name: Donald Drew Lalonde
Birthplace: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Hometown: Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Height: 6′ 2″ / 188cm
Boxing Record: click
Donny Lalonde Gallery
- Started boxing at age 17.
- Had an amateur record of 11 wins and 4 losses.
- Won the vacant WBC Light Heavyweight Championship with a second-round TKO of Eddie Davis on November 27, 1987.
- Lost the WBC Light Heavyweight Championship to Sugar Ray Leonard by a ninth-round TKO on November 7, 1988.
- Announced his retirement from boxing on May 28, 1989. Lalonde said, "I can no longer justify hurting people for my own gain." He had been scheduled to fight Dennis Andries for the WBC Light Heavyweight Championship on June 24, 1989.
- Returned to the ring in 1991 and fought Bobby Czyz for the WBA Cruiserweight Championship on May 8, 1992. Czyz won by a twelve-round unanimous decision.
- Lalonde, a victim of an abusive stepfather while growing up in Canada, has long been a supporter of child abuse prevention organizations.
Teddy Atlas book revelation
At the end of 1985, Lalonde hired Dave Wolf as his manager and Teddy Atlas as his trainer. Lalonde went 8-0 with Atlas as his trainer, but they clashed in temperament and style. "He ran things like an army camp," Lalonde said. "I'm more of a free spirit." He and Atlas parted ways, and Lalonde hired Tommy Gallagher and Bobby Cassidy as his new trainers.
In his 2006 autobiography, Atlas revealed that he came close to murdering Lalonde. "When he made six million for Leonard, it tore me up," Atlas wrote. "It made me murderous." If Atlas had trained Lalonde for the Sugar Ray Leonard fight, he would've gotten 10% of Lalonde's purse, $600,000.
Atlas described getting a gun and going to Lalonde's apartment building in New York. After getting buzzed into the building by another tenant, Atlas went to Lalonde's apartment and knocked on the door. "If he had opened the door, he was dead," Atlas wrote. "I would have pulled the trigger, turned around, and walked away." However, there was no answer.
Atlas waited through the night for Lalonde to return, periodically phoning the apartment. When he finally got through, Lalonde's girlfriend answered. When asked if Lalonde was home, she said yes. Atlas hung up and started making his way over to the apartment. Somewhere along the way, for whatever reason, Atlas changed his mind.
Lalonde knew nothing about it until the book came out and a friend told him about it. "It actually didn't surprise me when I heard it," he said. "Teddy got into fights with trainers and fighters quite a bit when I was with him. He may not be the most stable person walking around." 
| WBC Light Heavyweight Champion
1987 Nov 27 – 1988 Nov 7
Sugar Ray Leonard