Dwight Muhammad Qawi vs. Evander Holyfield (1st meeting)
1986-07-12 : Dwight Muhammad Qawi 189¾ lbs lost to Evander Holyfield 186 lbs by SD in round 15 of 15
- Location: The Omni, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Referee: Vincent Rainone
- Judge: Harold Lederman 140-144
- Judge: Gordon Volkman 143-141
- Judge: Neffie Quintana 138-147
- World Boxing Association Cruiserweight Title (Qawi defending)
Former Olympic bronze medalist Evander Holyfield won the WBA Junior Heavyweight (Cruiserweight) Title, scoring a split decision victory over champion Dwight Muhammad Qawi.
Holyfield, who held a seven inch height advantage, used stinging left jabs to keep his opponent away and scored repeatedly with combinations in the final five rounds to outpoint Qawi. Holyfield stunned the champion with a left hook in the opening seconds of Round 12 and stung him again with a right midway through to earn the round.
Qawi pressed forward, looked to get on the inside early and banged away at Holyfield's midsection. Qawi, who was deducted a point for low blows in the 15th Round, continued to pursue Holyfield late and appeared to hurt him in the final round with a right hook.
Source: "Holyfield captures world title" (1986, July 13) The Telegraph-Herald p. 4B. Article
- Dwight Muhammad Qawi 26-2-1 (15 KOs) vs. Evander Holyfield 11-0 (8 KOs)
- A thrilling and close competititive fight, with the judges deciding what the fighters could not.
- Holyfield appeared to outwork Qawi and land enough punches to win Qawi's title, but the bout remained exciting till the final bell. One of the last great fifteen round title bouts.
- Qawi suffered a puff under the left eye from round four through out the fight.
- See Also: Holyfield vs. Qawi II