Edgar Santana vs. Manuel Perez
2012-02-24 : Edgar Santana 139½ lbs lost to Manuel Perez 138½ lbs by UD in round 10 of 10
- Location: Dover Downs Hotel & Casino, Dover, Delaware, USA
- Referee: Benjy Esteves Jr.
- Judge: Steve Weisfeld 94-96
- Judge: Dave Braslow 94-96
- Judge: Pierre Benoist 94-96
- Edgar Santana 26-3 (17 KOs) vs. Manuel Perez 16-7-1 (4 KOs)
- Perez, who was 2-3 in his previous five bouts, entered as a 6.5/1 betting underdog.
- ESPN's Teddy Atlas scored it 97-93 for Perez.
Santana opened working primarily with a jab, but struggled to land against the quicker Perez. Perez found success with head movement and landing with a jab of his own. He was warned in Round 2 for a low blow. The two fought in close-quarters for much of Rounds 3 and 4, as Perez covered well and simply outworked his opponent. In Rounds 7 and 8, Santana moved more around the ring and looked for countering opportunities and to catch Perez coming forward. The challenger walked down his opponent and outworked him on the inside. By the end of of the seventh, Santana had noticeable bruising under his right eye. Perez closed the 8th Round with perhaps his best combination, catching Santana, as the two exchanged in the center of the ring. Perez continued to press the action into the 9th as Santana, the bigger man, didn't use his size as an advantage. He tried to move and evade and looked to land at a distance rather than using his power against his smaller opponent.