Edwin Valero vs. Antonio Pitalua
2009-04-04 : Edwin Valero 134½ lbs beat Antonio Pitalua 135 lbs by TKO at 0:49 in round 2 of 12
- Location: Frank Erwin Center, Austin, Texas, USA
- Referee: Laurence Cole
- Judge: Don Griffin
- Judge: Juergen Langos
- Judge: Gale E. Van Hoy
Aired On: HBO Pay-Per-View (Main Event)
- World Boxing Council Lightweight Title (Vacant)
- Antonio Pitalua (46-3) 40 KOs vs. Edwin Valero (24-0) 24 KOs
- Pitalua came in ranked as the # 6 lightweight in the world by The Ring Magazine. Valero entered as the # 1 junior lightweight by the same publication.
- Valero came in with 24 consecutive wins by knockout. Pitalua entered having won 14 consecutive bouts by knockout and having not lost since a split decision to Arnulfo Castillo in 2001.
- Valero was warned in Round 1 for pushing down the head of Pitalua.
- Pitalua went down from a short right hook on the button at 0:10 of Round 2. He made it to his feet on wobbly legs and received a standing eight-count. At 0:27, a flurry send Pitalua down for the second time. He was up at the count of four. At :49 of Round 2, the referee stepped in and waved an end to the bout as Pitalua was backed into a corner, wholly defensive against a Valero barrage.