Elvis Parker

From BoxRec
Jump to: navigation, search
Rick "Elvis" Parker

Rick "Elvis" Parker was a boxing promoter and manager based out of Orlando, Florida.

Parker decided to become a boxing promoter after meeting Don King on a Delta Air Lines flight from Las Vegas. "He told me how much money there was to be made in boxing," Parker said.

Among others, Parker promoted and managed Bert Cooper, James "Quick" Tillis and Mark Gastineau .

Parker hoped to get Gastineau, a former NFL player, a fight with George Foreman. He was reportedly promised a big payday against Foreman if he could get Gastineau to 12-0.

When Gastineau was 9-0, he was matched against Tim "Doc" Anderson, who was 25-15-1. Anderson later claimed that Parker offered him money to take a dive against Gastineau, but he refused. Anderson dominated Gastineau and won by a lopsided five-round unanimous decision. "He had nothing," said Anderson. "He is a football player. Another one bites the dust."

Anderson and Gastineau had a rematch in December 1992. Anderson's usual corner men did not show for the fight, and he ended up with men he didn't know working his corner. He also did not drink from the bottled water he asked for, but rather water given to him in paper cups by the men in his corner. By the second round, Anderson was light-headed, nauseous and hallucinating.

Gastineau won by a knockout in the sixth round. Hours later, after everyone had left the arena, a janitor found Anderson lying in a pool of his own vomit on the locker room floor. Anderson later insisted that his corner men were paid by Parker to drug him.

For a couple of years, Anderson could barely get out of bed. When he threatened to take Parker to task for his alleged crimes, men wielding baseball bats attacked him. He also claimed that Parker regularly threatened to kill Anderson’s quadriplegic sister, Erin, and her two daughters if he went to the authorities or took civil action.

In the fall of 1994, a doctor told Anderson that the only hope for recovery was to find out exactly what drugs had been used to poison him.

Determined to get Parker to admit what drugs he used to poison him so he could get much-needed treatment, Anderson set up a meeting with Parker in an Orlando hotel room. The two met on April 28, 1995. Along with a tape recorder, Anderson brought Parker’s sister and son as witnesses. After exchanging pleasantries, Diane and Chris left Anderson and Parker alone to talk business.

Anderson said Parker smashed the tape recorder and began yelling and cursing at him. Anderson claimed he lost it when Parker told him, “For that stunt you just pulled, your sister Erin is dead.” Anderson shot Parker six times. He then reloaded and shot him twice more. Parker was dead at age 39.

At the time of his death, Parker was under investigation by the FBI on allegations of fixing fights.

Anderson was convicted of first-degree murder in 1996 and sentenced to life in prison.