Emile Griffith vs. Jose Stable
1965-03-30 : Emile Griffith 146½ lbs beat Jose Stable 146 lbs by UD in round 15 of 15
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Arthur Mercante 11-4
- Judge: Al Berl 9-5
- Judge: Frank Forbes 8-6
For Griffith's World Welterweight Title.
- Stable was rocked and out on his feet in the 11th round.
- Griffith's purse: $70,000; Stable's purse: $10,000
- Attendance: 18,112
- Gate: $239,956
- This card also featured Jose Torres defeating Willie Pastrano for the World Light Heavyweight Title.
Source: New York Times
"Emile Griffith retained his world welterweight crown Tuesday night by bombing and bulling his way to a unanimous 15 round decision over dogged Jose Stable in the first half of the championship double-header. Griffith, a 13-5 favorite, took command early and wore down the challenger from Cuba with solid left jabs and hooks. Only in the 1st round did Stable give Griffith any trouble. He staggered the champion with a short left hook, but Emile shook off the blow. Then, starting in the 3rd round, Griffith took command, winning the next five by big margins as he showed the young Cuban who was boss with clever counter-punching. Griffith never let up on Stable once he got warmed up, and for the remainder of the fight it was only a question of whether Stable would remain on his feet." - Montana Standard Post Wire Services
- UPI - 10-3-2 Griffith
- AP - 9-5-1 Griffith