English School of Arms and Art of Self-Defense Academy

From BoxRec
Jump to: navigation, search

The original boxing academy, opened by James Figg--the first recognized "boxing champion"--in 1719 on Tottenham Court Road, London. It closed in 1743. Also called "Figg's Academy" and "Figg's Amphitheatre."

This Academy provided for:

  • Wooden rails for ring enclosure
  • An elevated stage platform
  • A referee who officiated outside the ring
  • Sparring exhibitions before bouts
  • The fight being declared over when one man remained standing
  • The sports of cudgeling, fencing and boxing