Enzo Maccarinelli vs. Ola Afolabi
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
2009-03-14 : Enzo Maccarinelli 199¼ lbs lost to Ola Afolabi 199½ lbs by KO at 1:50 in round 9 of 12
- Location: M.E.N. Arena, Manchester, Lancashire, United Kingdom
- Referee: Terry O'Connor
- Judge: Tom Miller 76-76
- Judge: Manuel Oliver Palomo 79-73
- Judge: Paul Thomas 78-74
- Interim WBO Cruiserweight Title (vacant)
- Enzo Maccarinelli 29-2 (22 KOs) vs. Ola Afolabi 13-1-3 (5 KOs)
- Maccarinelli entered as the WBO # 1 cruiserweight contender, while Afolabi entered as the WBO # 2 cruiserweight contender. Maccarinelli also came in ranked as the # 6 contender for the Cruiserweight Title by The Ring Magazine.
- Fight was on the undercard of Amir Khan vs. Marco Antonio Barrera.
- A right hand wobbled Maccarinelli in Round 3. He was able to tie up Afolabi and avoided being knocked down. Beyond Round 3, however, Maccarinelli controlled much of the early rounds working well to the body and landing occasionally upstairs. Afolabi fought much of the fight as a counter puncher.
- Action was paused in Round 9 to repair loose tape on the right glove of Ola Afolabi. It appeared that Afolabi came out in the 9th with renewed energy. Even the commentators noted that he seemed a step ahead of Maccarinelli in the round.
- A devastating overhand right dropped Maccarinelli in Round 9. He went down on his side and rolled over flat on his back. He was able to beat the count of ten, but the referee waved an end to the bout as Maccarinelli was clearly dazed.