Erik Morales vs. John Lowey
1997-12-12 : Erik Morales 120½ lbs beat John Lowey 119 lbs by RTD at 3:00 in round 7 of 12
- Location: Auditorio Municipal, Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
- Referee: Laurence Cole
- Judge: Harold Laurens 68-62
- Judge: Henry Elesperu 68-62
- Judge: Guillermo Ayon 69-62
- World Boxing Council Super Bantamweight Title (1st. defending of Morales)
- After a series of close opening rounds, Morales began to figure out the awkwardly effective Lowey with his combination punching.
- Round 3, Morales was cut in the left eye brow in from a headbutt, as per WBC rules, Lowey lost a point.
- Round 5, Morales cut over the right eye from a headbutt, Referee Cole deducted another point from Lowey for being too reckless with his head.
- Round 7, after using his right hand sparingly Lowey's corner stopped the fight at the end of the round, citing an injury.
- The stoppage was announced as a "broken right hand" by the ring announcer.
- Lowey suffered a mouse under his right eye and an a abrasion over his left.
- ESPN reported the blows through round six as Morales 116/324 36%, Lowey 78/307 25%.