Evander Holyfield vs. Francois Botha

From BoxRec
Jump to: navigation, search
Evander Holyfield vs. Francois Botha (poster).jpg
Holyfield 98384726.jpg

2010-04-10 : Evander Holyfield 220 lbs beat Frans Botha 250 lbs by TKO at 0:55 in round 8 of 12


  • Holyfield and Botha fought for the vacant heavyweight title of the World Boxing Federation, which had dissolved in 2004 and was re-established in 2009.
  • This was Botha's second consecutive fight for the vacant WBF heavyweight title. On October 24, 2009, he fought Pedro Carrion for the vacant title in a bout that ended in a draw.
  • The bout was originally scheduled to take place in Uganda on February 20, but the fight was called off on January 28 because promoters were unable to deliver a promised pre-fight payment. Ken Sanders, Holyfield's manager, said, "We spent about two months waiting on them to wire us the upfront money and they never did." [1]
  • Hall of Fame boxing referee Arthur Mercante Sr., who died earlier in the day at age 90, was honored before the bout began. There was a moment of silence while the timekeeper rang the bell ten times.

Holyfield stops Botha in 8th round
Associated Press | April 11, 2010

LAS VEGAS -- Former heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield is using George Foreman's comeback more than 15 years ago as inspiration.

The 47-year-old Holyfield (43-10-2, 28 KOs) knocked out 41-year-old Frans Botha with 2:05 left in the eighth round Saturday night. Holyfield (43-10-2) knocked the defending champion down 31 seconds earlier with a right to the chin.

Botha (47-5-3) beat refree Russell Mora's count, but Mora then stopped the fight with the South African backed into a corner.

"I'm going to be the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world," Holyfield said.

Two judges, Jerry Roth and Glenn Feldman, had Botha ahead 67-66 when the fight was stopped. The other judge, Herb Santee, had it 69-64 for Holyfield.

"I'm happy Botha gave me an opportunity," Holyfield said. "When people talk about you, it's who I fought. I fought the best."

There were only 3,127 people at the Thomas & Mack Center, most rooting for Holyfield in his first fight since Dec. 20, 2008, when he lost a majority decision to Nikolay Valuev.

"George Foreman said, 'It's not about my age," Holyfield referred to what the former champ said back in the 1990s. "He became heavyweight champion of the world."

In the second round, Holyfield briefly lost his balance, stumbling into a corner after a right from Botha with 2:04 left.

"[Holyfield has] got the skills. He's got the determination," Botha said. "He landed his shots. He's a true warrior. I didn't feel ashamed losing to a great champion like him."

At the post-fight press conference, it was mentioned Holyfield would like to fight one of the Klitschko brothers, who hold three of the four major heavyweight champions. Wladimir Klitschko holds two titles, while Vitali holds one.

Early on, Botha was warned by the referee twice in the first three rounds for hitting behind the head. Botha also was warned in the first round for a double hit to the head during a clinch.

This was Holyfield's first fight in Las Vegas since 2003, when he lost to James Toney at Mandalay Bay.

Before Saturday, Holyfield was only 10-6 in Las Vegas, including the infamous ear-biting incident against Mike Tyson in 1997, when he won by disqualification. [2]