From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
- Location: El Palenque de la Feria, Tepic, Nayarit, Mexico
- Referee: Jesus Salcedo
- Valdez was knocked down once in round one.
- Montiel was dropped in the second round from an uppercut, but the referee did not administer the mandatory eight-count.
- The fight was stopped after three rounds on a cut over Montiel's left eye he had already suffered in round one.
- After a technical draw had been announced, Valdez was declared the winner by a commissioner stepping into the ring. The result was finally changed back to a TD.