Lucas Matthysse vs. Ariel Burgos
2007-06-02 : Lucas Martin Matthysse 139½ lbs beat Ariel Francisco Burgos 138¾ lbs by KO at 2:14 in round 4 of 12
- Location: Club Ciclista Juninense, Junín, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Referee: Fernando Peyrous
- WBO Latino Light Welterweight Title (Matthysse defending)
Lucas Matthysse improved to 19-0 and successfully defended his WBO Latino Light Welterweight Title by stopping an outgunned Ariel Burgos in the fourth round in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Matthysse connected with a combination, capped with a left hook to the body, that sent Burgos down to all fours in the final minute of Round 4. He remained there as the referee reached the count of ten.
Matthysse, who controlled the action throughout, began to land in the second round and had his greatest success to the body. Burgos went down for a two count early in the third from a flurry, which could have been ruled a trip as the two's legs became tangled.
- Lucas Matthysse 18-0 (17 KOs) vs. Ariel Burgos 17-7 (5 KOs) - was listed on the broadcast as 15-7 (5 KOs)
- Burgos entered having not fought in nearly a year and a half following a unanimous decision loss to Juho Tolppola (15-2).
- Burgos was warned in Round 3 for a headbutt.
- In a showing of sportsmanship after being defeated, Burgos hoisted Matthysse up and carried him around the ring.