Wladimir Klitschko vs. Carlos Monroe (2nd meeting)
(Redirected from Fight:12713)
1998-08-06 : Wladimir Klitschko 235 lbs beat Carlos Monroe 259½ lbs by TKO at 2:28 in round 6 of 10
- Location: Grand Casino Avoyelles, Marksville, Louisiana, USA
- Referee: Paul Sita
- This was Klitschko's first professional fight in the United States.
- In their first fight, Monroe was disqualified for a headbutt which cut Klitschko under his left eye and would leave him with a scar. Klitschko told ESPN commentators Al Bernstein and Bob Papa before the fight that he wanted a rematch with Monroe to get revenge for the butt.
- According to ESPN punch stats, Klitschko landed 38 of 87 punches (44%) in the first two rounds, while Monroe connected on just 4 of 67 (6%). During the fourth round, Klitschko landed 12 of 31 (39%) and Monroe landed only 3 of 38 (8%).
- At the beginning of round six, Bob Papa said, "Klitschko has just dominated this bout from the start."
- A right from Klitschko dropped Monroe with 46 seconds left in the sixth round. Monroe got up at the count of eight but chose not to continue, and the referee waved off the fight.
- This was Monroe's last fight.