Jesse Brinkley vs. Curtis Stevens
2010-01-29 : Jesse Brinkley 167½ lbs beat Curtis Stevens 165 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, Grand Theatre, Reno, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Vic Drakulich
- Judge: Burt A. Clements 117-109
- Judge: Dave Moretti 118-108
- Judge: Herb Santos 119-107
Aired On: ESPN Friday Night Fights (Main Event)
- Jesse Brinkley 34-5 (22 KOs) vs. Curtis Stevens 21-2 (15 KOs)
- The fight was for the IBF's # 2 ranking at super middleweight and a potential title bout against Lucian Bute.
- Stevens entered as a -280 betting favorite.
- It was the first time Stevens had gone beyond 10 Rounds.
- ESPN Anaylst Teddy Atlas scored the bout 118-108.
By the end of the 1st Round, Brinkley had developed swelling under his right eye; the result of a pair of flush left hands. Following the 5th Round bell, both fighters continued to exchange punches for nearly 5 seconds. Referee Vic Drakulich eventually stepped in and separated them as Brinkley's trainer Peter Manfredo Sr. ran in and pushed Stevens back into the ropes. For this, ESPN reported that the commission made Manfredo Sr. move back from Brinkley's corner for the remainder of the bout. A pair of right hands hurt Stevens midway through the 6th Round. A follow-up right hand put him down at 2:40. He remained on one knee before making it to his feet at the count of eight. The theme throughout much of the fight continued into the latter rounds as Stevens continued to try and counter with the big punch while Brinkley, working behind the jab, stayed steady and out punched his opponent. By the end of the 11th Round, Stevens had noticeable swelling to both of his eyes. At 2:30 of Round 12, a barrage sent Stevens back into the ropes. At this, the referee stepped in and began a count as it was ruled that the ropes kept Stevens from going down. He received a mandatory-eight count. The two continued to throw until the final bell.
- "Jesse Brinkley... It's the best we've ever seen him." - ESPN's Joe Tessitore