2012-02-24 : Juan Carlos Burgos 129 lbs beat Cristobal Cruz 128¾ lbs by UD in round 10 of 10
- Location: Dover Downs Hotel & Casino, Dover, Delaware, USA
- Referee: Gary Rosato
- Judge: Steve Weisfeld 96-92
- Judge: Pierre Benoist 98-90
- Judge: Julie Lederman 96-92
- Burgos won a WBC title shot against the winner of the bout between WBC World Featherweight champion Takahiro Ao of Japan and challenger Terdsak Kokietgym of Thailand.
- ESPN-2 commentator Teddy Atlas scored the bout 95-94 for Cruz, in disagreement with the judges at Dover Downs.
- ESPN-2 commentator Lonnie Bradley felt Cruz needed to get inside, and Burgos needed to pickup the pace to get Cruz out of there.
- Burgos, 24, had youth, height and reach advantage. Ex-IBF Featherweight champ Cruz, 34, had more bout and rounds experience. Perhaps Cruz was effective at featherweight.
- Both fighters from Tijuana Baja California, Mexico. Close, exciting center of the ring technical bout fought with jabs and counter jabs
- Cruz had a somewhat open stance and swung wide or short at times. Burgos stood in front in later rounds. Both gave the other chances.
- Inside uppercut by Burgos dropped Cruz into Burgos's legs in the sixth for a 10-8 Burgos round. Cruz cut on corner of right eye, cut not a factor in the bout however.
- Short powerful left by Cruz to chin of Burgos dropped Burgos to his knees in the ninth for a 10-8 round by Cruz which appeared to even the score 85-85 on Teddy Atlas's card.
- Cruz came forward with pressure, finished landing strongly in the tenth round to win it and appeared to just win an otherwise extremely close bout.
- Argument for Burgos remained in the punch count as Burgos both threw and landed more than Cruz by volume and scored blows: CompuBox Statistics: Burgos 178 of 516 punches, Cruz 123 of 386.
- Cruz warned several times in this bout by referee Gary Rosato by holding behind the head. The referee did a top notch job of keeping the bout clean.
- Burgos doubled over Cruz midway through the tenth with a left hook low blow to the groin, prompting a stop in the action and a brief rest period by referee Gary Rosato.
- Celebrities at ringside included former World Heavyweight champion Riddick Bowe, who greeted boxing fans and posed for pictures.