Rocky Marciano vs. Roland LaStarza (2nd meeting)
1953-09-24 : Rocky Marciano 185 lbs beat Roland LaStarza 184¾ lbs by TKO in round 11 of 15
- Location: Polo Grounds, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Ruby Goldstein 7-3
- Judge: Young Otto 6-4
- Judge: Harold Barnes 5-5
World Heavyweight Title
- Photo #2, Photo #3
- Sanctioned by the International Boxing Club
- Attendance: 44,562
- Gate: $435,820
- Named The Ring Fight of the Year
- LaStarza was knocked through the ropes before the fight was stopped.
- The New York area was blacked-out of theater-TV, with the nearest telecast at a drive-in theater some 50 miles away at Commack, Long Island.
- Some 45 theaters in 34 cities across America carried this bout.
- In Los Angeles, some 7,000 fans saw the bout in three theaters, but 1,830 got their money back when the picture tube blew out just before the fight started.
- Over 3,000 jammed the Saenger Theatre for the first theater-televised big screen picture ever shown in New Orleans.
- In Chicago, 12,381 people paid $46,108 to sit in four movie houses to watch the fight on theater television.
- Radio station KVAN in Vancouver, WA, and at least eight other stations defied an IBC ban against broadcasting more than a "round-by-round" summary of the bout, and carried simultaneous recreations back by canned crowd noises "to make a test of the IBC's right to dictate how news copy may be used."
The Ring Magazine, Dec. 1953, p. 30.