Name: Floyd Mayweather
Birth Name: Floyd Joy Mayweather
Birthplace: Bronx, New York, USA
Hometown: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Height: 5′ 8″ / 173cm
Boxing Record: click
- Older brother of two-time world champion Roger Mayweather and former IBO super featherweight champion Jeff Mayweather.
- Father of Floyd Mayweather Jr., with whom he has had a turbulent relationship. When Floyd Sr. was convicted of drug trafficking in 1993 and sent to prison, Roger Mayweather took over as Floyd Jr.'s trainer. After being released from prison, Floyd Sr. returned as trainer for his son's 14th pro fight, a second-round knockout of Sam Girard in February 1998. Following his decision victory against Gregorio Vargas in March 2000, Floyd Jr. had a falling out with his father and fired him as trainer. He also evicted his father from a home that he owned and repossessed a car he was driving. They reportedly didn’t have a cordial conversation for nearly seven years. In early 2013, they patched things up and Floyd Jr. brought his father back as trainer.
- Father of Justin Jones. Mayweather learned from DNA in 2007 that he is the father of Jones, who was a promising 19-year-old light middleweight amateur from Mayweather's hometown of Grand Rapids, Michigan. Jones, going by the name Justin Mayweather Jones, turned professional in July 2013.
- Two-time Michigan Golden Gloves Champion (1973 & 1974)
- Mayweather was ranked sixth in the world at welterweight by The Ring Magazine in 1978.
- Mayweather was knocked down twice and stopped in 10 rounds by Sugar Ray Leonard in 1978.
- Shortly after fighting Leonard, Mayweather was shot in the leg during a family dispute. The injury almost halted his career.
- Mayweather was outpointed over 10 rounds by future WBA and WBC welterweight champion Marlon Starling in 1981. Mayweather fought Starling again in 1985 and lost by a 12-round decision.
- Floyd Jr. once said his father "lost to one legend, Sugar Ray Leonard, but his other losses were to journeymen and cab drivers."
- Claims to be "the greatest trainer in the world."
- Mayweather has trained Floyd Mayweather Jr., Oscar De La Hoya, Joan Guzman, Chad Dawson, Ricky Hatton, Vernon Paris and Chris Eubank Jr.
- Awarded "Trainer of the Year" by the World Boxing Hall of Fame in 2003, 2006 and 2008.
- Received the WBC "Lifetime Achievement Award."
- "Gatti should be in the Hall of Fame for getting his ass tore up."
- "To be honest with you, I'm starting to think he's (Chad Dawson) a little retarded. I hope you got that down. Somebody told me they thought he was a little retarded and I'm starting to think it's a fact. The more he opened his mouth, the more I began to believe what they saying."
- "Freddie 'The Joke Coach' Roach. That's what I think he is. He's a joke of a coach,"
- "He (Floyd Mayweather Jr.) thanks everyone but his daddy. He thanks Leonard Ellerbe, a homosexual, I know he's a homosexual and everyone else knows it. You can print that because I said it, I can tell you nothing else but how gay he is."
- "He’s (Manny Pacquiao) disgraceful for boxing, because -- he knows why he’s disgraceful for boxing! He wants to run around here and act like he’s a preacher. He wants to act like he’s a holy guy, like a preacher type of guy? Man, come on man! He ain’t nothing but the devil and somebody is going to take care of his ass! Believe me, because he runs off about disgraceful. Yeah, he’s the one that’s disgraceful doing the shit! Everybody knows what he’s doing."