Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Carlos Hernandez
2001-05-26 : Floyd Mayweather Jr 130 lbs beat Carlos Hernandez 128½ lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Van Andel Arena, Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
- Referee: Dale Grable
- Judge: Peter Trematerra 119-109
- Judge: Bob Watson 117-109
- Judge: Marty Sammon 116-111
- World Boxing Council Super Featherweight Title (7th defense by Mayweather)
- Ring Announcer: Michael Buffer
- Aired On: HBO World Championship Boxing (Main Event)
- Calling it "one of the toughest nights of my career," Mayweather overcame injuries to both hands to improve his record to 26-0.
- After landing a left hook to Hernandez's head in the sixth round, Mayweather grimaced in pain and turned away. He then bent over and his left glove touched the canvas. Referee Dale Grable ruled it a knockdown and gave Mayweather an eight count. It is the only knockdown of Mayweather's professional career.
- Mayweather said he went into the fight with "two messed up hands" and had novocaine shots in both hands before the bout.
- Hernandez had a point deducted in the 12th round for elbowing.
- Mayweather landed 241 of 520 punches (46%) and Hernandez landed 172 of 676 (25%).
- "He is a very, very tough fighter," Mayweather said of the challenger, whose record fell to 33-3-1. "I'm disappointed in my performance."
- "All he did was pepper me with jabs," said Hernandez. "He just kept running from me."