Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Jose Luis Castillo (2nd meeting)
2002-12-07 : Floyd Mayweather Jr 134 lbs beat Jose Luis Castillo 135 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Joe Cortez
- Judge: Ken Morita 115-113
- Judge: Larry O'Connell 116-113
- Judge: Daniel Van de Wiele 115-113
- World Boxing Council Lightweight Title (1st defense of Mayweather)
- The Ring Magazine Lightweight Title (1st defense of Mayweather)
- There was a crowd of about 6,000.
- Mayweather's purse was $2.4 million.
- The Associated Press reported:
- Mayweather refused to mix it up Saturday night with Jose Luis Castillo, a strategy that allowed him to keep his WBC lightweight title but drew boos from fans wanting some more action. Mayweather did just enough to win, using his jab and right leads to keep Castillo off balance and moving quickly away when the Mexican challenger tried to turn the fight into a slugging match. There were no knockdowns and no notable exchanges in the fight. 
- HBO's unofficial scorer Harold Lederman had Mayweather ahead 115-113.
- Fellow HBO analyst Larry Merchant also scored it 115-113 for Mayweather.
- The Associated Press had the fight 116-112 for Mayweather.
Post Fight Comments
- "I told you it would be easy this time. My plan was to box more, no power shots, be smart." - Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- "I never figured him out. I think he fought a more intelligent fight this time. I never felt I did anything this time." - Jose Luis Castillo