Floyd Patterson vs. Archie Moore
1956-11-30 : Archie Moore 187¾ lbs lost to Floyd Patterson 182¼ lbs by KO at 2:27 in round 5 of 15
- Location: Chicago Stadium, Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Referee: Frank Sikora
- Judge: John Bray 18-18
- Judge: Jim McManus 16-20
- Judge: Frank Sikora 17-20
~ Vacant World Heavyweight Title ~
- Floyd Patterson, 21, broke Joe Louis's record of age 23 and became the youngest heavyweight champion of all time. The mark stood for 30 years before being surpassed by Mike Tyson, another protege of Cus D'Amato, who won the WBC Heavyweight Title at age 20 in 1986.
- "The turning point came in the third round. I landed a left in his stomach and I head him, "ugh" or something like that. I knew then I had hurt him and I knew I could beat him." - Floyd Patterson
- Asked if Moore's popping off before the fight bothered him, Patterson replied, "No, I really think that he said so much that he was worried himself. It gave me a world of confidence."
- "I'm all right. The referee shouldn't have stopped it. I felt Floyd Patterson is a vastly improved fighter.He has potentialities of being a great fighter when he gets some experience. I felt confident I could beat him, but I also learned that youth can be too much. I came up the long hard road, but when I got there I found the door slammed shut." - Archie Moore
Source: "Heard Him Say Ugh--Floyd; Archie All Right" (1956, Dec. 1) St.Petersburg Times p.6. Article