Floyd Patterson vs. Jerry Quarry (2nd meeting)
1967-10-28 : Floyd Patterson 195½ lbs lost to Jerry Quarry 195 lbs by MD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Olympic Auditorium, Los Angeles, California, USA
- Referee: Vern Bybee 6-6
- Judge: Lee Grossman 6-7
- Judge: Joey Lomas 6-7
- Elimination Tournament for WBA Heavyweight Title (Ellis-Martin/Bonavena-Mildenberger/Quarry-Patterson/Spencer-Terrell)
- Patterson down in the 2nd and the 4th
"Youthful Jerry Quarry scored an unpopular, 12 round majority decision over former champion Floyd Patterson Saturday and advanced to the semifinals of the WBA's tournament to find a successor to deposed titleholder Cassius Clay. The hard-punching 22 year old Quarry, 193, dropped Patterson, 32, with short rights to the head in the 2nd and 4th rounds. But he had to battle to hold his own in the late rounds as Patterson, 195, appeared to get stronger and take charge of the fiercely contested bout." -United Press International
- UPI - 7-5 Patterson
- AP - 6-6 Draw
- Long Beach Press-Telegram - 7-5 Patterson
- Pasadena Star-News - Two writers covered the bout for the Star-News. Joe Hendrickson scored it 7-6 for Quarry and Don Pickard scored it 8-5 for Quarry.
- Los Angeles Times - Two writers covered the fight for the Times. Frank Finch scored it 7-6 for Quarry and John Hall scored it 7-6 for Patterson.
- Gate - $78,084.00 at the Olympic Auditorium and $17,164.00 on closed circuit at the L.A. Sports Arena (total $95,248.00 for the Olympic Boxing Club) plus $60,000 in TV monies.
- Purses - both fighters received a guarantee of $50,000.00
Post fight comments:
- "I think Quarry won because of his early lead. Patterson came up with a lot of motion in the fight, but he didn't throw enough punches. There was a day when Patterson threw punches. Now it's all motion." -Eddie Machen
- "I think I could knock out either one of 'em. I would have put pressure on Quarry. Patterson didn't put on enough pressure." -Joe Frazier
- "Floyd didn't hurt me in our first fight but he really rocked me with a hard right in the ninth today." -Jerry Quarry
- "I'm a slow starter. Those knockdowns were a matter of formality - but they hurt." -Floyd Patterson