Floyd Patterson vs. Sonny Liston (1st meeting)
1962-09-25 : Sonny Liston 213 lbs beat Floyd Patterson 189 lbs by KO at 2:06 in round 1 of 15
- Location: Comiskey Park, Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Referee: Frank Sikora
- Judge: Harold Marovitz
- Judge: John Bray
- Floyd Patterson 38-2 (29 KOs) vs. Sonny Liston 33-1 (23 KOs)
- Despite being the champion, Patterson entered as an 8-5 betting underdog.
- The fight was shown on closed circuit TV at 264 locations in the United States and Canada.
- A crowd of 18,894 at Comiskey Park produced a gross gate of $665,420 and a net of $556,119.95.
- Patterson received 55 percent of ancillary rights and 45 percent of the net gate. Liston received 12½ percent of the net in all revenue phases.
- The contract stated that if Liston won, he would have to give Patterson a rematch within a year.
- About halfway through the first round, Liston hurt Patterson with a right uppercut. Liston followed with a series of punches, ending with a left hook, that dropped Patterson. He made it to his feet but was unable to beat the referee's count of ten. Gilbert Rogin of Sports Illustrated wrote: "Liston is not a notably swift and flashy hitter, but that final left hook crashed into Patterson's cheek like a diesel rig going downhill, no brakes....There are no fighters extant, and precious few mammals of any variety, that could have beaten the count. The miracle is that Patterson was able to get to his knees."