Name: Francesco Damiani
Birthplace: Bagnacavallo, Emilia Romagna, Italy
Hometown: Bagnacavallo, Emilia Romagna, Italy
Height: 6′ 3″ / 190cm
Boxing Record: click
Manager: Umberto Branchini
Trainer: Elio Ghelfi
Francesco Damiani Photo Gallery
Olympic Games results
- 1980 Italian Super Heavyweight representative at the Moscow Olympics. Results:
- 1984 Super Heavyweight Silver Medalist at the Los Angeles Olympics. Results:
Other Amateur results
- 1981 European Super Heavyweight Gold medallist in Tampere, Finland.
- 1982 World Championships Super Heavyweight Silver Medalist in Munich, West Germany.
- 1983 European Super Heavyweight Gold medallist in Varna, Bulgaria.
- 1983 World Cup Super Heavyweight Gold medallist in Rome, Italy.
- Knocked out Johnny DuPlooy in three rounds to become the first WBO Heavyweight Champion on May 6, 1989. Since Mike Tyson was the undefeated WBA/WBC/IBF World Heavyweight Champion at the time, Damiani's WBO title was given little respect.
- Lost the WBO title to Ray Mercer by a ninth-round TKO on January 11, 1991.
- When Mike Tyson pulled out of his November 8, 1991 fight against Undisputed World Heavyweight Champion Evander Holyfield due to a rib injury, Damiani was chosen as his replacement. The fight was to take place on November 23, but Damiani withdrew a week before the fight because of an ankle injury. Bert Cooper replaced Damiani.
- Retired after an eighth-round TKO loss to Oliver McCall on April 23, 1993.
| WBO Heavyweight Champion
1989 May 6 – 1991 Jan 11