Gennady Golovkin vs. Matthew Macklin
2013-06-29 : Gennady Golovkin 159 lbs beat Matthew Macklin 159 lbs by KO at 1:22 in round 3 of 12
- Location: MGM Grand at Foxwoods Resort, Mashantucket, Connecticut, USA
- Referee: Eddie Cotton
- Judge: Glenn Feldman
- Judge: Julie Lederman
- Judge: Clark Sammartino
- Ring Announcer: Michael Buffer
- Aired On: HBO Boxing After Dark (Main Event)
- World Boxing Association World Middleweight Title (8th defense by Golovkin)
Gennady Golovkin looked sharp and confident en route to a dominant third-round knockout win over Matthew Macklin in the main event of HBO's Boxing After Dark card.
Golovkin, or Triple G, walked down Macklin, rocked him with accurate power punches in each of the first two rounds, and had the British-born Irishman in trouble early.
A left hand to the body from Golovkin midway through the third round sent Macklin down writhing in pain. He was unable to beat the referee's count and remained down in the ring for some time to recover. Through three rounds, Macklin had already been cut to his left eye and had bruising under his right.
Macklin, who has fought several world champions, called Golovkin the best opponent he has fought in the post-fight interview.
- Gennady Golovkin 26-0 (23 KOs )vs. Matthew Macklin 29-4 (20 KOs)
- Golovkin entered as the #2 ranked middleweight contender in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Macklin, a 7.5-to-1 betting underdog, was ranked as the #6 contender by the same publication. Sergio Martinez held The Ring Magazine middleweight title at the time of this bout.
- Macklin entered with a record of 2-2 in his previous four bouts, with losses against ranked opponents Felix Sturm (35-2-1) and Sergio Martinez (48-2-2). In his most recent bout nine months prior, Macklin knocked out Joachim Alcine (33-2-1) in the first round.
- Golovkin reportedly made $350,000, while Macklin made $300,000.