Gerrie Coetzee vs. Leon Spinks
1979-06-24 : Gerrie Coetzee 221 lbs beat Leon Spinks 198½ lbs by TKO at 2:03 in round 1 of 12
- Location: Chapiteau de l'Espace Fontvieille, Fontvieille, Monaco
- Referee: Isidro Rodriguez
- Gerrie Coetzee 21-0 (11 KOs) vs. Leon Spinks 7-1-1 (5 KOs)
- This was the first fight for Spinks following his two consecutive bouts with Muhammad Ali.
- It was Coetzee's first professional fight outside his native South Africa.
- It was the first knockout loss of Spinks's professional career.
Spinks came out aggressively and attacked early winging big power punches and pressing Coetzee into the ropes. Coetzee avoiding much of Spinks attack and responded with some decent shots of his own. A right hand behind the ear sent Spinks down face-first at 1:19. He struggled, but got to his feet at the count of three despite being on wobbly legs. Spinks attempted to hold as Coetzee came forward throwing right hands. A right hand sent an off-balance Spinks down for the second time at 1:38. He again was up quickly and allowed to continue. Coetzee landed three consecutive power punches that sent Spinks stumbling forward across the ring, sprawled onto the ropes, and down for the third and final time.