Guillermo Rigondeaux vs. Juan Noriega
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
2009-05-22 : Guillermo Rigondeaux 122¼ lbs beat Juan Noriega 120½ lbs by TKO at 1:09 in round 3 of 4
- Location: Fontainbleau Hotel, Miami Beach, Florida, USA
- Referee: Samuel Burgos
- Judge: Bill Ray
- Judge: John Rupert
- Judge: Rocky Young
- Aired On: ESPN Friday Night Fights
- This was the professional debut of Rigondeaux, the 2-time Olympic Gold Medalist who defected from Cuba.
- The fight was on the undercard of Richard Gutierrez vs. Antwone Smith.
- Noriega took the fight on three days notice.
- Rigondeaux immediately showed his dominance when he dropped Noriega with a right to the head 30 seconds into the bout for the fight's only knockdown. Rigondeaux carefully measured his punches and the bout had its moments of inaction. "I didn't rush my shots but I believe they were effective," Rigondeaux said. Referee Sam Burgos stopped the fight at 1:09 of the third round after Rigondeaux landed a right to the head without any follow-up shots.