From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
Name: Harold Bird
Alias: Eddie Murphy
Nationality: US American
Hometown: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Boxing Record: click
Refereeing Record: click
Officiating Record: Referee (considered incomplete)
- Also fought under the name of "Eddie Murphy," according to the Tacoma Times, March 3, 1932.
- According to the Sept. 5, 1923 Tacoma News Tribune (TNT), he was the former 91st Division Welterweight Champion (Camp Lewis, WA).
- By 1931, he was a Thurston County deputy sheriff.
- After his own boxing career ended, Bird would become a popular and active referee for Tacoma, Washington, smokers of the 1920s and 1930s.
- At least by 1947, he became a boxing manager, too--taking on heavyweight Big Bill Little.
- There was an advertisement in the April 1, 1949 TNT for Harold Bird, Inc., Lumber & Home Supplies at 2301 South Tacoma Way
- 1967 Inductee into the Tacoma-Pierce County Sports Hall of Fame