Harry Bilazarian

From BoxRec
Jump to: navigation, search

Name: Harry Bilazarian
Birth Name: Haroutune Bilazarian
Born: 1927-09-26
Birthplace: Boylston, Massachusetts, USA
Died: 2012-04-25 (Age:84)
Hometown: Boylston, Massachusetts, USA
Boxing Record: click


Published in Worcester Telegram & Gazette from April 26 to April 27, 2012

BOYLSTON - Harry (Haroutune) Bilazarian, age 84, born and raised in Boylston, son of Haroutune and Agavny Bilazarian (both deceased), passed away peacefully on Wednesday, April 25th. His former wife, Lucy (Karabetian) Bilazarian passed away in December l996. Harry leaves his only child, Lucy Azadig Eller; his son-in-law Jeff Eller and two granddaughters, Jordyn and Jaelyn Eller whom he loved. He is also survived by his siblings and their spouses, Seth and Tina Bilazarian, Ruth and Robert D. Haddon, all of Boylston, and Gladys and Nerses Zeytoonian of W. Falmouth; seven nieces and nephews, sixteen grand nieces and nephews and many friends. Harry loved sports and was a star athlete at Worcester Boys Trade School, where he was co-captain of the football team and the highest scorer in 1944. Later, Trade's Coach Donoher named Harry as one of several most outstanding players in his entire coaching career. Recently, Harry was inducted into the Worcester Public Schools' Athletic Hall of Fame for his outstanding and sportsmanship accomplishments during his school years. From 1946 to 1948, Harry served in the U.S. Army at Ft. Monmouth, N.J., where he became a member of the boxing team. While there, he won the light-heavyweight and heavyweight boxing titles in addition to winning many other All Army bouts. He later volunteered for the 11th Airborne and, following paratrooper training, was assigned to Osaka, Japan. He joined the boxing team there and quickly became the light-heavyweight champion of the 11th Airborne Division. Upon his discharge from the military, Harry continued his boxing career as a professional and fought several heavy-weights including Rocky Marciano. Harry later boxed as a light-heavyweight and won thirteen consecutive fights. Harry was employed for 37 years by ComGas in Worcester. He was a lifetime and faithful member of the Armenian Church of Our Saviour, was a past member of its Choir and was overjoyed when Choir members recently visited him and sang the Liturgy. Harry was a self-taught student of Armenian history, language and religion. He was always a volunteer whenever and wherever work was needed. He loved the beach, family gatherings and celebrations and always enjoyed time spent with all. He was also very generous, especially to most all Armenian causes and charities.