Hilmer Kenty was Emanuel Steward's first world champion, the first world champion from Kronk Gym, and the first world champion in Detroit since Joe Louis decades earlier. He lost a close decision to future champion Sugar Ray Leonard in the 1973 National Golden Gloves Final. He is the brother of Forrest Winchester.
- 1974 National AAU lightweight champion
- 1975 National AAU lightweight champion
- Represented the United States as a lightweight at the inaugural World Amateur Championship in 1974. His results were:
- Amateur record (incomplete) 
- Let The Good Times Roll: The Night Hilmer Kenty Won The Lightweight Title: 
| WBA Lightweight Champion
1980 Mar 2 – 1981 Apr 12