Name: Howard Mayberry
Alias: The Duke of Duluth
Birthplace: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Died: 1934-07-03 (Age:32)
Hometown: Duluth, Minnesota, USA
Height: 5′ 4″ / 163cm
Reach: 68″ / 173cm
Boxing Record: click
- Mayberry started fighting around 1917 in Duluth, MN. His family lived in Morgan Park. In some newspaper articles of the day, he is referred to as the "former Duluth newsboy."
- He then joined the US Navy, became stationed aboard the U.S.S. Wyoming (at Bremerton, WA, for a time), and served until around 1922. On Sep 19, 1922, he fought a ? Javier aboardship while in route from Rio to New York.
- Mayberry apparently settled for a time in Michigan, but ran into contractual problems with the Avenue A.C. in Detroit. Around 1923, he moved to Canada after being suspended in Michigan.
- In November 1933, he was seriously injured in a car accident, and died the following July after surgery to remove his leg.
- Mayberry was reported by the Boxing Blade to have started boxing in 1917 in Duluth and had 90 fights of July of 1924, so many are missing from the early portion of his career.
Mayberry's record and life are currently being researched by Mike DeLisa of the Cyber Boxing Zone; please contact if you have more info. firstname.lastname@example.org