Hozumi Hasegawa vs. Vusi Malinga
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
2009-03-12 : Hozumi Hasegawa 117¾ lbs beat Vusi Malinga 115½ lbs by TKO at 2:37 in round 1 of 12
- Location: World Memorial Hall, Kobe, Hyogo, Japan
- Referee: Laurence Cole
- Judge: Marty Denkin
- Judge: Miguel Angel Moran
- Judge: Jae-Bong Kim
- World Boxing Council Bantamweight Title (8th defense by Hasegawa)
- Hasegawa came in ranked the # 1 bantamweight in the world by The Ring Magazine. Malinga was ranked the # 8 bantamweight by the same publication.
- Malinga went down at 1:14 from a combination to the body capped with a straight left hand upstairs. He was up at the count of four and received a standing eight-count.
- Malinga down again at 1:50 from an accumulation as he was backed against the ropes and the two fighters were trading punches. He was up again at the count of four despite being visibly unstable on his feet. He again received a standing eight-count.
- At 2:35, a big, looping left hand sent Malinga to one knee and down for the third time in the round. At this, referee Laurence Cole immediately waved an end to the bout.
- It was the 3rd loss of Malinga's professional career and the first to come by way other than decision.
- Fight Video