(Redirected from Human:34757)
Name: Johnny Williams
Birthplace: Barmouth, Wales, United Kingdom
Died: 2007-01-29 (Age:80)
Hometown: Rugby, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
Boxing Record: click
Manager: Ted Broadribb
- Ex-British champion Williams dies
- Johnny Williams was a heavyweight famed for using brain over brawn
- Former British and Empire heavyweight champion Johnny Williams has died at the age of 80. Williams was born in the Welsh resort of Barmouth on Christmas Day, 1926, and turned professional in 1946.
- Notable for a more scientific approach than most of his contemporaries, he retired in 1960 with 60 wins (38 KOs), 11 losses and four draws. One of Williams's greatest fights was a bruising encounter against Jack Gardner on 17 July, 1950, in Leicester. Williams lost that Commonwealth title eliminator on points. It was rated one of the most gruelling bouts ever staged in Britain and left both boxers requiring a night in hospital. Williams was to gain his revenge on Gardner over 15 rounds in 1952 when he seized both the British and Empire titles in what was to be his finest hour.
- When he left the ring, Williams opted for a new career in farming and he is survived by his wife and a daughter.