As an amateur boxer, Podgorski won the 1994 C.P.D. North Sectional title, losing by decision in the city finals at Chicago's historical International Amphitheatre.
Podgorski trained in the Chicago Park District gyms at Portage Park, Brooks Park and Stateway Gardens finishing his amateur boxing career with a 27-6 won-loss mark.
In 1997 Podgorski won the Chicago Golden Gloves junior-welterweight & the Chicago Park District welterweight City Championships.
In 1998 Podgorski was a Sectional Champion and runner up for the Open division title.
Podgorski graduated from NEIU (B.A.) in Chicago and received his Master's degree in Public Policy from Pepperdine University, Malibu CA in April of 2004. Along with his full time position, Podgorski has been a adjunct professor for N.E.I.U. teaching classes related to Political Science.
Podgorski has officiated amateur and professional boxing as a judge, referee and timekeeper since the fall of 1998. Podgorski became one of the youngest officials to officiate a World Title fight when he judged a bout for a WBF Cruiserweight Championship in 1999.
- Notable Fights Judged
- John Riel Casimero vs. Pedro Guevara (2012-08-04) IBF World title
- Jose Nieves vs. Cuauhtemoc Vargas (2011-04-29) WBO Latino
- Melinda Cooper vs. Ada Velez (2011-03-31) IBF World Female title
- Jesus Pabon vs. Americo Santos ( 2011-02-25 ) WBO Latino
- Roman Karmazin vs. Sebastian Sylvester ( 2010-06-05 ) IBF World Title
- Mariusz Wach vs. Eric Boose ( 2008-07-11 )
- Johnny Tapia vs. Sandro Marcos ( 2005-09-16 )
- Miguel Hernandez vs. Jonathan Corn ( 2005-04-08 } IL State
- Kendall Holt vs. Thomas Davis ( 2004-06-18 )
- David Diaz vs. Damone Wright ( 2002-12-13 )
- James Crawford vs. Joseph Hughes ( 2002-06-28 ) Mid-American Title
- Frank Toledo vs. Len Martinez ( 2002-06-28 )
- Terry Ray vs. Samson Cohen (1999-01-23) WBF World title
- Notable Fights Refereed
Grandparents-parents, family names - Podgorski, Probst, LaMontagne, Lynn, Legenza and Richau