From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
(Redirected from Human:955)
Name: Marlon Starling
Alias: Magic Man
Nationality: US American
Hometown: Hartford, Connecticut, USA
Height: 5′ 8″ / 173cm
Reach: 73″ / 185cm
Boxing Record: click
Trainers: Eddie Futch, Freddie Roach
- Amateur record: 97-13
- Welterweight semi-finalist at the 1977 National AAU tournament (lost to Mike McCallum)
- Welterweight finalist at the 1975 and 1979 New England Golden Gloves tournament (lost to Robbie Sims)
- In his first attempt to win a world title, Starling lost a fifteen-round unanimous decision to Donald Curry for the WBA and IBF welterweight titles in 1984.
- Knocked out Mark Breland to win the WBA welterweight title in 1987.
- Retained his title with a disputed draw in a rematch with Breland. Most felt Starling had won the fight.
- Lost the title to Tomas Molinares in 1988. Starling was knocked out with a punch that was thrown after the bell had rung to end the sixth round. The New Jersey Athletic Control Board later changed the result to a no contest, but the WBA didn't reinstate Starling as champion.
- Stopped Lloyd Honeyghan in nine rounds to win the WBC welterweight title in 1989.
- In an attempt to win the IBF middleweight title, Starling lost a majority decision to Michael Nunn in 1990.
- Lost the WBC welterweight title to Maurice Blocker by a majority decision. It was Starling's last fight.
- KO Magazine named Starling the 4th best welterweight of the 1980s.
- Reflecting on a proposed fight with Lloyd Honeyghan: "I'll fight him for nothing if the price is right."
| WBA Welterweight Champion
1987 Aug 22 – 1988 Jul 29
| WBC Welterweight Champion
1989 Feb 4 – 1990 Aug 19