Humberto Soto vs. Benoit Gaudet
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
2009-05-02 : Humberto Soto 130 lbs beat Benoit Gaudet 129 lbs by TKO at 2:25 in round 9 of 12
- Location: MGM Grand, Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Jay Nady
- Judge: Tom Miller 78-73
- Judge: Paul Smith 75-76
- Judge: Jerry Roth 80-71
- World Boxing Council Super Featherweight Title (2nd defense by Soto)
- Time: 2:25
- Weights: Soto 130 lbs, Gaudet 129 lbs
- Aired On: HBO Pay-Per-View
- Humberto Soto 47-7-2 (30 KOs) vs. Benoit Gaudet 20-1 (7 KOs)
- Fight was on the undercard of Ricky Hatton vs. Manny Pacquiao.
- Soto came in ranked the #1 Junior Lightweight in the world by The Ring magazine. Gaudet was unranked by the same publication.
- Gaudet down in round 1 from a left hook to the jaw.
- Gaudet down again in round 9 from a right uppercut to the chin. While he beats the count and resumes the fight, Soto's follow-up barrage leaves him defenseless and forces referee Nady to stop the fight.
- After 8 rounds, Harold Lederman's unofficial scorecard had Soto up 78-73, Gaudet winning the 4th and 6th rounds.
- At the time of stoppage, Soto was up on two of the offical scorecards, while Gaudet was leading on the third.