Ike Ibeabuchi

From BoxRec
Jump to: navigation, search
Name: Ike Ibeabuchi
Alias: The President
Birth Name: Ikemefula Charles Ibeabuchi
Born: 1973-02-02
Birthplace: Isuochi, Nigeria
Hometown: Dallas, Texas, USA
Stance: Orthodox
Height: 6′ 2″   /   188cm
Reach: 76″   /   193cm
Boxing Record: click

Trainer: Curtis Cokes

Boxing Career

Ike Ibeabuchi planned on joining the Nigerian military before he witnessed James (Buster) Douglas upset Mike Tyson to win the World Heavyweight Championship in 1990. Inspired by the fight, Ibeabuchi decided to become a boxer.

As an amateur, Ibeabuchi twice defeated countryman and eventual 1996 Olympic Bronze Medalist Duncan Dokiwari. Ibeabuchi emigrated to the Dallas area with his mother in 1993 and won the Dallas and Texas Golden Gloves tournaments in 1994.

As a professional, Ibeabuchi was 20-0 with 15 knockouts. His biggest wins were a twelve-round unanimous decision over David Tua in 1997 and a fifth-round knockout of Chris Byrd in 1999.

Legal Troubles

Immediately after the fight with Tua, Ibeabuchi began complaining of a terrible headache. He was taken directly to a hospital and underwent several tests, including an MRI. From what the latest advances in scientific technology could detect, there was nothing at all wrong with him, and he was sent home with a clean bill of health.

After being released from the hospital, Ibeabuchi began to swear that he was being plagued by demons, evil spirits that only he and his mother could see.

A couple of months after the Tua fight, distraught over a perceived snub in the WBC rankings, Ibeabuchi abducted the 15-year-old son of his former girlfriend and slammed his car into a concrete pillar on Interstate 35 north of Austin, Texas. According to the criminal complaint, the boy suffered 'numerous injuries' from the accident 'and will never walk normally again'. Ibeabuchi was charged with kidnapping and attempted murder, but the courts concluded he was trying to commit suicide, and he was sentenced to 120 days after pleading guilty to false imprisonment. He also paid a $500,000 civil settlement.

"It was a very frustrating case because what he did wasn't as clearly criminal as what I expected him to get involved with down the line," said District Attorney John Bradley, who prosecuted Ibeabuchi. "I fully expected that his contact with the criminal justice system had not ended with our county. We weren't able to get him examined, but it sure seemed to me -- even if he was a heavyweight boxer looking at making millions of dollars -- that he should have been committed to a psychiatric community and treated."

Ibeabuchi developed a new persona based on his nickname, 'The President'. When he was being churlish or refusing to complete a simple requirement, such as attending a weigh-in, his handlers would appeal to The President's regal nature by convincing him it was the noble thing to do. "There were times when he thought he was really a president," boxing promoter and former HBO Sports executive Lou DiBella said. "He would get into these mental states where he insisted on people calling him The President. It was his alter ago, where 'I am The President,' not of the United States, but maybe the world."

Promoter Cedric Kushner said Ibeabuchi on two occasions had to be literally dragged onto airplanes before fights because of perceived demonic forces.

Ibeabuchi once wielded a knife during a dinner meeting in New York to discuss a possible three-fight HBO deal. "We were having a fine meal at a nice restaurant," Kushner said, "and mid-course, Ike picked up a big carving knife, slammed it into the table and screamed 'They knew it! They knew it! The belts belong to me! Why don't they just give them back.' That was a peculiar experience," Kushner said. "That wasn't the type of conduct I expected to romance the guy from HBO. (Ibeabuchi) was like a Viking."

While training for the Byrd fight in February 1999, one of Ibeabuchi's sparring partners, Ezra Sellers, cut him during a sparring session.

The cut was on the left eyelid and would take four stitches. Sellers had his gloves and handwraps removed by Jay Wilson, Ibeabuchi's assistant trainer. Afterward, Sellers retrieved his wedding ring from his gym bag and went over to apologize.

Ibeabuchi spotted the ring and accused Sellers of intentionally cutting him. Sellers said Ibeabuchi then kicked him in the right knee.

"As I was falling, I grabbed him and he wound up on top of me, straddling me, and he was punching my head and then he was choking me, and finally they pulled him off me," Sellers said. "I said, 'Your own trainer wrapped my hand,' and that sent him off after (Wilson)."

Sellers attempted to leave the gym to find a policeman. Sellers realized he couldn't walk, and instead took a cab to a hospital. He was told to forget a March 12 boxing date because of torn knee ligaments. After leaving the hospital, Sellers filed charges. So did Wilson. However, they later dropped the charges.

A former Kushner matchmaker, Bill Benton, was dispatched by the promoter and HBO to check on Ibeabuchi. Benton said the Sellers incident was 'just a gym skirmish', and the fight with Byrd went off as planned.

In July 1999, Ibeabuchi was staying at The Mirage Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas when he phoned a local escort service and had a woman sent to his room. The 21-year-old woman said she was there to strip and nothing else. She claimed he attacked her in the walk-in closet after she demanded to be paid up front.

"He invited her up to his room and begins to get physical with her," said Christopher Lalli, a Clark County chief deputy district attorney. It got loud enough that people in the adjoining room notified hotel security.

"When they entered the room," Lalli said, "a woman, naked from the waist down, was running toward them."

Ibeabuchi barricaded himself in the bathroom, and police discharged pepper spray under the door to coax his surrender.

Ibeabuchi's defense faced the further difficulty of the Clark County DA's reopening of a similar sexual assault allegation from eight months earlier, which took place next door to The Mirage at sister-property Treasure Island Hotel and Casino.

He was released on bail and placed on house arrest—able to train and fight again until his trial—but he was remanded after two more sexual-assault allegations surfaced in Arizona.

"The troubling thing for us was this was not an isolated incident," Lalli said.

Lalli said the case against Ibeabuchi's crimes at The Mirage was solid. There was physical evidence, eyewitness testimony, a pattern of unacceptable behavior.

"It was evidence you don't have nine times out of 10 in these cases when you go to trial," Lalli said.

Ibeabuchi was deemed incompetent to stand trial and was sent to a state facility for the mentally ill. Medical experts concluded he exhibited bipolar disorder, and a judge granted permission to force-medicate him. Eight months later, two and a half years after his arrest, he was ruled cogent enough to plea by a 2-1 vote.

He entered an Alford plea, conceding the prosecution had enough evidence to convict him while not admitting guilt. Had he gone to trial and been found guilty of rape, he could have received 10 years to life in prison. Instead, he got two to 10 years for battery with intent to commit a crime and three to 20 years for attempted sexual assault, terms which he served consecutively.

Ibeabuchi was paroled on the first charge in 2001. Ibeabuchi's mother Patricia, who maintained a website on her son's behalf, died in 2013. Ike completed his sentence on the second charge in April 2014, and was immediately transferred to the Washoe County Jail in Reno, Nevada, pending deportation proceedings by the U.S. Customs and Enforcement Service (ICE).

During his incarceration, Ibeabuchi earned two college degrees from Western Nevada Community College: an Associate of General Studies; and an Associate of Applied Science in General Business.

External Links

"Ibeabuchi Gives Boxing A Black Eye" by Michael Katz - New York Daily News - March 5, 1999
"Ibeabuchi Close To Being Unleashed" by Tim Graham - ESPN.com - August 18, 2004
"Ike Ibeabuchi and the 'Pseudomonarchia Daemonum'" by Chris Thompson - FightNews.RU - December 19, 2007