Ike Ibeabuchi vs. David Tua
1997-06-07 : Ike Ibeabuchi 235 lbs beat David Tua 226 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Arco Arena, Sacramento, California, USA
- Referee: Lou Filippo
- Judge: Henry Elesperu 115-114
- Judge: Rudy Jordan 116-113
- Judge: Dick Young 117-111
- WBC International Heavyweight Title
- Ibeabuchi was 16-0 with 12 knockouts, and Tua was 27-0 with 23 knockouts.
- Tua was the betting favorite.
- Ibeabuchi landed 332 of 975 punches, and Tua landed 282 of 755 punches. They combined to throw 1,730 punches, which set the CompuBox record for punches thrown in a heavyweight fight. Ibeabuchi also set the individual record for punches thrown by a heavyweight.
- HBO's unofficial judge Harold Lederman scored the fight 115-113 for Tua, and Michael Katz of the New York Daily News scored it a draw.
- After the fight, Ibeabuchi complained of a terrible headache and was taken to a hospital. He underwent several tests, including an MRI, but nothing abnormal was found. After being released from the hospital, Ibeabuchi began to say that he was being plagued by demons and evil spirits.
- A week after the fight, Tua had surgery to remove bone chips from his left elbow.