Jack Rennie

From BoxRec
Jump to: navigation, search
Jack Rennie.jpg

Name: Jack Rennie
Birth Name: David John Rennie
Born: 1930-07-13
Birthplace: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Died: 2013-02-14 (Age:82)
Hometown: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Stance: Orthodox
Boxing Record: click
Promoting Record: click

Photo #2

Jack Rennie was born on July 13, 1930 in Melbourne. Rennie had two amateur fights for one win and one loss. Rennie boxed his first professional fight at the old Melbourne Stadium on June 22, 1946.

In total Rennie fought 27 times, all in Melbourne, with the exception of one outing in Broken Hill. His last ring appearance was in Melbourne on March 3, 1950.

Rennie, having learned the way fighters are trained, decided to open a gym in Marco Polo Street Essendon, in 1958. His style of training and motivation for the fighters soon made his gym a successful enterprise.

Fighters sought out Rennie for specialized training, and many who made the move became household names. Amongst the boxers who passed through the front gate of the Marco Polo Gym were: Paul Ferreri, Harry Hayes, Jimmy Bell, Johnny Smillie, Mick Croucher, Jimmy Thunder, Bobby Hyland, and Arthur Thomas.

Lionel Rose was also trained by Jack Rennie after he left Frank Oaks in Drouin. Rose became World Bantamweight Champion when he beat Fighting Harada, the brawling Japanese Champion. Under the watchful eye of Rennie, Rose became extremely popular in the United States.

Rennie said: "Lionel was very special to the fans in the States as they liked his style. He had a go, and his skills were much appreciated by the American fans. Lionel drew capacity crowds at the (Inglewood) Forum against the leading Mexican fighters in the world at the time."

The one fight cemented in Rennie's mind as the most exciting fight where he was the trainer, was Rose's bout with Chuco Castillo, which ended in a close controversial decision win for Rose, leading the crowd to riot after the fight. The Americans were on the side of Lionel Rose, and the large crowd of Mexican supporters for Castillo were held largely responsible for the melee.

Rennie always went to bat for his charges in making sure they received the correct money for their fights. He wasn't one of the favourite sons of Stadium Ltd, and was often in conflict over minimal purses being offered for his fighters to fight. He normally won, as he refused to give in. When capacity houses were taken in consideration, and Rennie knew how to add up, so Stadium Ltd could put nothing over the alert trainer when it come to working out purses.

There was a constant flow of fighters through the Marco Polo gym, and Rennie was kept busy with running the gym and arranging fights. In 1980, Rennie was made a life member of the Australian National Boxing Hall Of Fame. He became the coordinator with the WBF and ANBF for Australian officials and fighters.

Fights were organized in Australia, Thailand and Noumea, and Rennie was the man behind arranging over two hundred fights. As a result of his success, he earned a lot of respect and was in demand for his services by the promoters in Thailand.