James (Buddy) McGirt vs. Pernell Whitaker (1st meeting)
1993-03-06 : Pernell Whitaker 146¼ lbs beat James McGirt 147 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Larry Hazzard
- Judge: Dalby Shirley 117-111
- Judge: Chuck Giampa 115-113
- Judge: Rudy Ortega 115-114
- World Boxing Council Welterweight Title (3rd defense by McGirt)
- Before he beat McGirt, Whitaker was already set to meet Julio Cesar Chavez in September. If Whitaker had lost to McGirt, he and Chavez would have fought at 140 pounds to unify the IBF title (held by Whitaker) and the WBC title (held by Chavez).
- Whitaker's purse was $1.25 million and McGirt's was $1 million.
- There was a crowd of 10,814.
- Whitaker landed 314 of 768 punches (41%) while McGirt connected on 238 of 717 (33%).
- McGirt went into the Whitaker fight with an injured left shoulder. He said the injury probably happened in December during sparring for his fight with Genaro Leon on January 12. A week after the Whitaker fight, he had surgery to reattach a tendon that had been pulled away completely from the front of his rotator cuff.