James De la Rosa vs. Tyrone Brunson
2012-03-23 : James De la Rosa 155 lbs beat Tyrone Brunson 154½ lbs by UD in round 8 of 8
- Location: Convention Center, Pharr, Texas, USA
- Referee: Tony Garcia
- Judge: Hector Maldonado 78-73
- Judge: Manuel Chapa 77-74
- Judge: Lucy Rogers 79-72
- Aired On: ESPN Friday Night Fights
- James De la Rosa 20-1 (12 KOs) vs. Tyrone Brunson 21-1-1 (20 KOs)
- Brunson entered as a 2.5/1 betting underdog. 
- Brunson entered having not fought in over two years following the first loss of his professional career; a 3rd Round TKO to Carson Jones.
- De la Rosa entered at the heaviest weight of his career to date and having only one fight since October of 2009; a unanimous decision loss to Allen Conyers.
- ESPN's Teddy Atlas scored the bout 78-74 in favor of De la Rosa.
De la Rosa switched between orthodox and southpaw stances regularly in Round 1. In the first 30 seconds of Round 2, a counter left hook caught De la Rosa on the chin causing him to stumble backward and his glove to touch the mat. He received a mandatory eight-count and action continued. De la Rosa controlled the remainder of the round against a largely guarded Brunson. De la Rosa showed an increased confidence in Round 4 and continued to slip shots past the guard of Brunson. In Round 5, De la Rosa controlled the action at times battering Brunson, who mostly remained covered up and threw very little. De la Rosa was warned in Round 6 for landing a punch to the back of his opponents head. Brunson began bleeding from a small cut under his left eye in Round 7.