James J. Jeffries vs. Jack Munroe

From BoxRec
Jump to: navigation, search

1904-08-26 : James J. Jeffries 224 lbs beat Jack Munroe 215 lbs by TKO at 0:45 in round 2 of 20

  • Location: Mechanic's Pavilion, San Francisco, California, USA
  • Referee: Eddie Graney
  • The fight was scheduled for 20 rounds
  • Attendance was 8,000
  • Gate receipts were $35,000
  • The purse was $25,000, with Jeffries getting 75% and Monroe 25%
  • Munroe's manager, Harry Pollock, later claimed that someone from the Jeffries camp doped an orange that was given to Munroe prior to the first round

Jeffries had been ringside for Munroe's scrap with Tom Sharkey covering it for a newspaper and remarked on how Sharkey had hurt Munroe early and failed to follow up. Jeff would take advantage of Munroe's slow start when they met.

"The two giants had not been in the ring two minutes when it was foreseen that the aspirations of Munroe would be quickly disposed of. The miner was scared and awkward, and Jeffries, chewing gum, in the first round, had him twice on the canvas taking the count. Jeffries directed his bombardment against the stomach of his opponent, and each shot was followed by a blow on the jaw that sent Munroe to his knees. Jeffries went back to his corner after the first round with a sneer and a laugh on his swarthy face, while Munroe's seconds busied themselves with smelling salts and restoratives. When the two came together for the second round, the laugh on the champion's visage changed to a look of determination that boded ill to the miner. Fifty-five seconds after the gong sounded, Munroe was lying on the floor, a bruised mass of humanity: Jeffries standing over him ready, if necessary, to put the quietus on the championship abilities of his adversary. The miner was too dazed to rise to his feet, and the timekeepers counted him out, but the husky man from southern California did not understand that the victory was already his, nor could Munroe realize that his pugilistic star had so early set, and the two men, in a moment or two, were facing one another, and Jeffries landed a terrific blow on the jaw of his staggering opponent. It was at this time that Graney came forward and ordered Jeffries away, telling him that the fight was ended in his favor. From the time the bell rang for the commencement of the battle to the time that the count of ten had been uttered against Munroe, only four minutes and forty-five seconds had elapsed. The fight demonstrated, if nothing else, that the world has yet to produce a pugilist who will displace James J. Jeffries as champion of the world." (Summit County Journal)