James Tillis vs. Mike Weaver
1981-10-03 : James Tillis 209 lbs lost to Mike Weaver 215 lbs by UD in round 15 of 15
- Location: Horizon Arena, Rosemont, Illinois, USA
- Referee: Stanley Christodoulou 142-146
- Judge: Ismael W. Fernandez 143-145
- Judge: Rogelio Perez 142-147
- World Boxing Association Heavyweight Title (2nd defense by Weaver)
Weaver had a tentative agreement to meet Gerry Cooney on October 22, 1981, but the WBA said Weaver had to fight Tillis next or be stripped of the title. Cooney was ranked #1 by the WBA and Tillis was ranked #3, but the organization said that Tillis was the highest ranked contender when Weaver was due for a mandatory defense in March 1981.