- Name: Jeremiah Richardson
- Birthdate: 1958
- Hometown: Miami, Florida
On September 29, 1983, amateur boxer Jeremiah Richardson lost a 3-round decision to two-time Golden Gloves Champion Ramon Negron. Following the loss, Richardson lapsed into a coma in the dressing room.
Richardson, 25, was rushed to American Hospital in South Miami. When he remained comatose ten months later, Richardson's parents, Sam and Sarah Richardson. sued their son's coach and the boxing officials associated with the fight--for 17 counts of negligence. On November 20, 1986, a jury found the defendants not guilty of any negligence, and Richardson's family was denied damages.
It is believed that Jeremiah Richardson remains in a coma to this day. He has an adult daughter.
- Miami Herald, Sept. 30, 1983, Sports, Front Page: BOXER FIGHTS FOR HIS LIFE AFTER MISMATCH, REFEREE URGES SANCTIONS AGAINST BOXING OFFICIALS.
- Miami Herald, October 1, 1983, Sports, page 1C: ACCIDENT ALSO KOs WINNING BOXER.
- Miami Herald, November 12, 1983, page 1B: FIGHT WORLD RECOVERS FROM DAMAGING BLOW.
- Miami Herald, August 8, 1984, BR, page 1: FAMILY OF INJURED BOXER SUES, AMATEUR FIGHTER NOW IN A COMA.
- Miami Herald, page 3BR: COMATOSE BOXER'S FRIENDS FAMILY RALLY TO HELP HIM.
- Miami Herald, November 21, 1986, Local, page 2C: HURT BOXER'S FAMILY DENIED DAMAGES.