Jermain Taylor vs. Kelly Pavlik (1st meeting)
2007-09-29 : Jermain Taylor 159 lbs lost to Kelly Pavlik 159½ lbs by TKO at 2:14 in round 7 of 12
- Location: Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Steve Smoger
- Judge: Julie Lederman 59-54
- Judge: Guido Cavalleri 58-55
- Judge: John Stewart 58-55
- World Boxing Council Middleweight Title (5th defense of Taylor)
- World Boxing Organization Middleweight Title (5th defense of Taylor)
- '"The Ring Magazine Middleweight Title"' (5th defense of Taylor)
- Aired on: HBO World Championship Boxing
Both fighters came out and traded bombs in a tremendous first round. Taylor dropped Pavlik in the second round with a hard right hand followed by a left hooks and a right hand when Pavlik dropped his hands. Pavlik was on unsteady legs briefly after that, but he still pursued the champion. The rounds that preceeded showed brutal exchanges with Pavlik beginning to get to the champion. Pavlik hurt Taylor in round seven with a hard right hand that staggered Taylor into a corner. Pavlik then followed up with a left uppercut, then a right uppercut and finished it with a left hook and a grazing right hand. Taylor fell down hard, slumped in a corner. Referee Steve Smoger jumped in almost immediately after Taylor was dropped, and stopped the fight.
- Taylor ahead on all three scorecards at the time of the stoppage.
- After the fight, Taylor activated his rematch clause.
- "What a performance by young Pavlik. To get off the floor, the difference in this fight, one man got off the floor, the other man didn't." - HBO's Larry Merchant
- Pavlik wins the Ring Magazine middleweight world title.
- See also: Taylor vs. Pavlik II
Taylor vs. Ouma
| WBC Middleweight Title Fight
WBO Middleweight Title Fight
Kelly Pavlik vs. Gary Lockett