Jimrex Jaca vs. Geronimo Hernandez
2006-01-21 : Jimrex Jaca 129 lbs beat Geronimo Hernandez 131 lbs by TKO at 2:43 in round 1 of 8
- Location: Thomas & Mack Center, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Joe Cortez
- Judge: Adalaide Byrd
- Judge: C.J. Ross
- Judge: Patricia Morse Jarman
- Jimrex Jaca 25-1-1 (11 KOs) vs. Geronimo Hernandez 14-17-1 (6 KOs)
- Jaca is coming off a second-round technical knockout win of fellow Filipino Samuel Duran to win the vacant Philippines Super Featherweight Title just 2 months ago, while Hernandez is coming off an eight-round unanimous decision loss to fellow Mexican Roberto Mares just 2 months ago as well, in Texas. Hernandez only has a record of 4-6 in his last 10 fights.
- This would be the first time Jaca would face a Mexican fighter. He carries a record of 2-1-1 (0 KO) against non-Filipino opponents and has a record of 1-1-1 (0 KO) when fighting outside his native Philippines coming into the fight. This would be Jaca's U.S debut.
- This would be the first time Hernandez would face a Filipino fighter. He carries a record of 5-8 (0 KO)when fighting outside his native Mexico (all 13 fights were fought in the U.S).
- Jaca impressed against an overmatched fellow southpaw in Hernandez in his U.S debut. A combination, capped by an overhand left by Jaca dropped Hernandez in in the second minute of the very first round. Hernandez was able to beat the count by referee Joe Cortez. The Mexican, showing his toughness, fought and slugged it out with the Filipino only to be knocked down for the second and final time by a straight left near the end of the round. Joe Cortez stopped the fight as soon as Hernandez dropped to the canvas.
- With the win, Jaca gets his 3rd straight knockout win, while Hernandez gets his second straight loss and his seventh loss in his last 10 fights.