Joe Frazier vs. Jerry Quarry (1st meeting)
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
1969-06-23 : Joe Frazier 203½ lbs beat Jerry Quarry 198½ lbs by RTD at 3:00 in round 7 of 15
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Arthur Mercante
- Judge: Tony Castellano
- Judge: Bill Recht
- The fight was recognized as a world title fight by New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, and Texas, as well as Mexico and Argentina.
- Frazier was a 2-1 favorite.
- Attendance was 16,570 and the gate was $502,518.
- Frazier was guaranteed $250,000 against 35% of the gate and 40% of closed-circuit television. Quarry got 25% of each.
- Quarry was cut and puffed under the right eye in the third round, which led to the fight being stopped after the seventh. Quarry told the referee that he couldn't see out of his right eye.
- Referee Arthur Mercante and judge Tony Castellano had Frazier ahead 6-1, while judge Bill Recht had him in front 5-1-1. AP
- Named Fight of the Year by The Ring.
- Fight photo