Joe Louis vs. Arturo Godoy (1st meeting)
1940-02-09 : Joe Louis 203 lbs beat Arturo Godoy 202 lbs by SD in round 15 of 15
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Arthur Donovan 10-5
- Judge: Tommy Shortell 5-10
- Judge: George LeCron 10-4
- World Heavyweight Championship (9th defense by Louis)
- Photo #2, Photo #3, Photo #4, Photo #5, Photo #6
- See also: Joe Louis vs. Arturo Godoy (2nd meeting)
- Louis was a 10-1 betting favorite.
- There was a crowd of 15,567.
- The gross gate was $88,523.99, and the net was $74,988.27.
- Louis' purse was $32,848.81, and Godoy's was $13,450.10.
- The only rounds in which the three official scorers agreed were the third, eighth (both to Godoy) and the fourteenth (Louis).
- The New York Times reported: "Louis won sloppily against a bruising, mauling and rushing fighter who knew no fear or retreat." Many in the crowd booed the decision, but the Times called the verdict "eminently fair." Its reporter scored the fight 10-5 for Louis and stated that other reporters had a similar score.
- The Associated Press scored the fight 10-5 for Louis. They gave the champion the last five rounds.
- The International News Service scored the fight 9-6-1 for Louis.
- The United Press scored the fight even, giving each fighter five rounds and calling five even.
- Joe Louis: "This was the worst fight I ever had."
- Arturo Godoy: "Of course, I think I win. Certainly, I should get no worse than draw."