Joe Louis vs. Buddy Baer (1st meeting)
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
1941-05-23 : Joe Louis 201¾ lbs beat Buddy Baer 237½ lbs by DQ in round 7 of 15
- Location: Griffith Stadium, Washington, District of Columbia, USA
- Referee: Arthur Donovan
- Judge: Jimmy Sullivan
- Judge: John Trigg
World Heavyweight Title
- First heavyweight title bout ever held in Washington, DC
- For the first time since Luis Angel Firpo vs. Jack Dempsey, the World's Heavyweight Champion (Louis) was knocked through the ropes, in the first round.
- Louis down in first, Baer down three times in sixth.
- The last knockdown of Baer occurred after the bell, according to Baer's manager, who then refuses to leave the ring, upon which Baer is disqualified.